Samples of Study Questions
After reading assigned article, test yourself:
1. ________ is the process of planning and executing the conception, pricing, promotion,
and distribution of goods and services to facilitate exchanges that satisfy individual and
organizational objectives (Page 350):
A) Selling B) Advertising C) Marketing D) Mixing markets
2. Which of the following describes the time period immediately after the development of
mass production assembly lines? (Page 350)
A) production era b) selling era C) marketing era D) customer relationship era
3. A firm’s marketing mix refers to the combination of (Page 352):
A) goods the firm offers to different market segments.
B) advertising media the firm utilizes to promote its products.
C) strategies regarding product, price, place, and promotion.
D) people directly involved in making marketing decisions.
4. The last step in the marketing process often includes (Page: 354, Figure 13.3):
A) collecting the cash from sales to consumers.
B) developing a written report to summarize the results of the period’s marketing activities.
C) deciding the best way to distribute the product.
D) building relationships with customers.
5. Which of the following tasks would be included in the marketing mix (Page 355)?
A) evaluating various distribution alternatives to determine the best way to get the product
to the consumer
B) examining various sources of funds to determine the best way to finance an expansion of
the organization’s production facilities
C) assigning tasks to specific workers on an assembly line
D) developing financial statements based on the recorded transactions of the firm during a
specific time period
6. Keith has been hired as a marketing manager for a fashion company. His primary
responsibilities are likely to be concerned with (Page 352):
A) establishing inventory control methods.
B) making certain production schedules are met.
C) planning and executing the conception, pricing, promotion and distribution of his firm’s
D) preparing job descriptions and job specifications for sales representatives.
Department of International Trade & Marketing (ITM)
7. The first step in the marketing research process is to (Page 356):
A) define the problem and determine the present situation.
B) collect relevant data from primary and secondary sources.
C) analyze the research data.
D) decide upon the best ethical solution.
8. __________ consists of information that has already been researched by others and is
published in journals or books, or has been made available online (Page 357).
A) Primary data B) Secondary data C) Pre-coded information D) Technical data
9. Nature’s Sun, a company that designs and manufactures clothing for active people,
focuses their marketing efforts on people who participate in strenuous outdoor activities
such as running and mountain climbing. For example, the firm advertises heavily in
magazines for runners. Nature’s Sun is using _________ factors to segment its market.
(Page 363; figure 13.6)
A) demographic B) value C) volume D) psychographic
10. In an effort to increase customer loyalty, management at Phat International has worked
to create a personal dialogue with their customers. This dialogue will enable Phat to offer
products that exactly meet their customers’ needs and provide personalized service before
and after the sale. Phat International’s new strategy illustrates (Page 365):
A) a production orientation. B) relationship marketing.
C) personalized promotion. D) niche marketing.
Source: Understanding Business. Nickels & McHugh. 8 ed.
1 C 2 B 3 C 4 D 5 A
6 C 7 A 8 B 9 D 10 B